Tuesday, March 18, 2014

iPads in Must Do/May Do activities

Hi everyone! Wow, I can't believe it's the middle of March already. When I look back on all the ways I have utilized technology this year, it's amazing to see all the wonderful ways students have been able to present their ideas and also to gain information on any given topic. We have used iPads for research, for presentations, for collaboration in math, and other engaging activities this year! It's been a lot of fun.

One of my favorite ways since January that we have been using the iPads in our classroom is through reading and writing Must Do/May Do activities. Because of Read to Achieve and other forms of testing in third grade eliminating important parts of the day, I wanted to come up with a way to integrate science, social studies, and technology into my reading block. By doing so, my students would not miss out on other important Essential Standards this year. Must Do activities are assignments that students must complete by the end of the week. May Do activities are assignments that students can complete when finished early with their Must Do activities.

I use one Must Do/May Do list for my students and then modify it for students who are lower-performing. They receive less activities and modified activities compared to the main list.

Regular Must Do/May Do activity list


A modified Must Do/May Do activity list

I love that these activities require students to use the 4 C's. I also love that it's a way for students to be grouped by mixed ability while working in stations but I can still pull my reading groups back to work with me based on their reading level abilities.  I am able to provide fun apps and reading websites that allow students to practice further on a skill that week. During their May Do time it allows them to explore topics they enjoy on their own. Students are also able to share what they learned through apps like Educreation and Edmodo and other students can leave feedback.

It's been a great way to provide differentiation and enrichment in a classroom full of diversity and various ability levels!

No comments:

Post a Comment